Jones County family homeless after fire destroys mobile home

A family of four is homeless after a fire destroyed their mobile home Saturday, October 10.

 

At 11:30 a.m., fire units from Johnson, Ovett, and Union Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the 400 block of Ira G Odom to the report of a mobile home on fire. Upon arrival firefighters found the mobile home fully involved in flames.

 

The mobile home was owned by Thomas and Asha Finney and was located in a mobile home park owned by Charles Morgan.  The Finneys and two children, Zachary Ramirez, 10, and Dynistie Ramirez, 9, were not at home at the time of the fire.  Thanks to a neighbor, who knocked down the door, the family’s two dogs escaped the burning home.

 

According to Jones County Fire Coordinator Dan McKenna, the fire appears to have been caused by a damaged and clogged clothes dryer air vent.

 

The 14x70 mobile home was deemed a total loss, and the family lost everything.

 

The American Red Cross was notified, and is assessing the needs of the family. 

 

Also responding to the fire were Jones County Sheriff’s Department, EMServ Ambulance Service for standby, and Dixie Electric Power Association.

 

Story & Photo by Linda Cranford, Jones County Fire Service PIO

 

Please reload

Toggle Closed Captions on/off through the YouTube video player settings

ARCHIVE

Please reload

Subscribe for Updates

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
RSS Feed

WHPM/FOX23 is a proud member of the ADP

120 North 40th Avenue

Hattiesburg, MS 39401

(601)602-3174

Waypoint Media

© 2020 WHPM-TV