JONES COUNTY, Miss. - This is a press release from the Jones county Volunteer Fire Department.
Two men escaped a potentially disastrous situation early Saturday morning when their home at 766 Pecan Grove Road caught on fire. When units from Glade, M&M and Powers Volunteer Fire Departments arrived on scene, they found the attic space of the home consumed by flames and smoke.
Because of a metal roof, heat and fire were held in the structure, which required several hours of hard work from firefighters to suppress and contain the flames. A partial roof collapse occurred during fire suppression efforts.
According to one of the occupants of the home, he woke up to find the house full of smoke with the ceiling beginning to collapse on part of the house.
Initial units were dispatched to the fire at around 1:45AM, and additional units from Johnson, Ovett, Moselle and Union were requested to assist. Firefighters were on scene for about three and a half hours working to bring the flames completely under control.
Rescue personnel on scene included units from Glade, M&M, Powers, Johnson, Ovett, Moselle and Union Volunteer Fire Departments, Jones County Sheriff's Department, EMServ ambulance service, Jones County Fire Coordinator Dan McKenna, and Dixie Electric.
Fire apparatus on scene included Glade Engine, Glade Tanker, M&M Engine, Powers Engine, Powers Tanker, Powers Heavy Rescue, Powers Rescue 3, as well as additional tankers from Moselle, Union, Ovett and Johnson.