City council approves legislature letter, funds for tornado recovery

March 10, 2017

 

HATTIESBURG, Miss. - City Council met Friday afternoon for a special-called meeting regarding tornado recovery funds.

Council members approved 5-0 to authorize an executive letter to Mississippi legislators.

 

The letter will request financial assistance to help cover the $500,000 in recovery and clean-up costs that incurred as a result of the deadly E-F3 tornado January.

 

Council President Carter Carrol said FEMA will pay 80% of the costs from the tornado damage. The council is hoping the state can cover the other 20%.

 

Carrol said, "So whatever FEMA is paying and reimbursing us for, picking up of the debris, clearing of the and tearing down of the houses, and things like that."

 

"All of that FEMA will help us with and we are hoping the state will help us out with that" he said.

 

The council is hoping to receive a response from the state as soon as possible.

 

 

 

 

 

Please reload

Toggle Closed Captions on/off through the YouTube video player settings

ARCHIVE

Please reload

Subscribe for Updates

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
RSS Feed

WHPM/FOX23 is a proud member of the ADP

120 North 40th Avenue

Hattiesburg, MS 39401

(601)602-3174

Waypoint Media

© 2020 WHPM-TV