Jones County structure burns for second time in less than a year

July 28, 2017

 

 

JONES COUNTY, MS. - The following is a press release from the Jones County Volunteer Fire Department.

 

A home-converted-storage building burned for the second time in less than a year Thursday morning. Glade, Powers, M&M and Ovett Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the scene of what was reported to be a house fire on George Boutwell Road off of Highway 15 South. Initial reports stated that no occupants were inside of the home, and later stated that this was the same structure that had caught fire in 2016, some 8 months ago. Initial firefighters to arrive on scene stated that the structure was fully involved, fire was spreading into nearby woods and a camper trailer was exposed to the intense heat. However, initial firefighters quickly brought the fire under control and prevented any further spread into the woods, as well as cooled down and protected the nearby trailer, which was beginning to show smoke. 

 

When the structure caught fire last year, it was reported that the cause was due to an electrical short in an extension cord running to the house. According to reports from today's fire, the cause was the same.

 

Firefighters stayed with the burning structure for awhile to ensure the surrounding woods and structures were safe from the heat, but the homeowner requested that firefighters allow what was left of the structure to burn. 

 

Emergency personnel on scene included Glade, Powers, M&M and Ovett Volunteer Fire Departments, Jones County Fire Public Information Officer and Jones County Sheriff's Department.

 

Please reload

Toggle Closed Captions on/off through the YouTube video player settings

ARCHIVE

Please reload

Subscribe for Updates

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
RSS Feed

WHPM/FOX23 is a proud member of the ADP

120 North 40th Avenue

Hattiesburg, MS 39401

(601)602-3174

Waypoint Media

© 2019 WHPM-TV