This is a press release from Jones County Sheriff's Department.
JONES COUNTY, Miss. - A house fire at a home located at #7 J.P. Geddie Road in the Johnson Community required the services of volunteer firefighters from six Jones County VFDs in Fire Districts 4 and 5 before the blaze was brought under control. Volunteer fire units from Johnson, Ovett, Union, Moselle, Glade and Powers responded to the fast moving fire at 12:48pm on Friday. Johnson VFD Fire Chief Chris Pitts served as the Incident Command during the fire response and requested additional fire units from Fire District 4 to respond due to the intensity of the fire.
Firefighters initiated an aggressive interior attack and were able to contain fire damage to the living room and kitchen areas with smoke damage reported in other areas of the home. The fire vented through the roof of the home near a fireplace which also appeared to be the point of origin. The residents were not at home at the time of the fire, but arrived while firefighters were still battling the blaze.
Jones County Fire Coordinator Dan McKenna, the Jones County Sheriff’s Department and Dixie Electric Power Association also responded to the scene. There were no injuries reported to any emergency services personnel at the scene and all fire units were back in service by 3:15pm. Jones County Fire Coordinator Dan McKenna is urging residents to be very careful with heating devices during the upcoming period of dangerous cold predicted for Sunday and throughout the week. Please be sure and check smoke detectors to ensure they work as well as making sure space heaters are plugged directly into an electrical wall outlet and not into an extension cord or power strip.