MDOT Urges Caution if Traveling in Mississippi
Currently, Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) crews are reporting ice on roads or bridges in the following counties: Alcorn, Benton, Bolivar, Calhoun, Carroll, Chickasaw, Clay, Coahoma, DeSoto, Grenada, Issaquena, Itawamba, Lafayette, Lee, Leflore, Marshall, Monroe, Montgomery, Panola, Pontotoc, Prentiss, Quitman, Sharkey, Sunflower, Tallahatchie, Tate, Tippah, Tishomingo, Tunica, Union, Warren, Washington and Yalobusha. Crews will continue to monitor road conditions for the remainder of the day and into Thursday night.
MDOT is continuing to monitor the winter weather event over the next 24 hours and address the affected counties. MDOT crews will continue working until roadways are clear for safe travel and the winter storm moves out of the state.
MDOT's number one priority is the safety of the traveling public. As winter weather moves through the state, MDOT wants you to be prepared. For more information, visit www.GoMDOT.com/winter.
Safe Driving Tips:
· Buckle up and slow down.
· Use headlights to be more visible to other motorists.
· Avoid distractions such as talking on a cell phone and texting.
· Allow more distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
· Brake early and gently to avoid skidding and never slam on the brakes.
Regular maintenance of your vehicle is another way to protect yourself during winter, and MDOT has these tips.
· Check tire pressure regularly during winter months.
· Have your car battery and charging system checked for optimum performance.
· Make sure your inside lights are working and your headlights are aimed properly.
· Make sure the exhaust system has no leaks. Carbon monoxide can accumulate quickly in closed vehicles.
For the current travel and road conditions, visit www.MDOTtraffic.com, download the MS Traffic Mobile App in the Google Play or Apply App stores, follow @MississippiDOT on Twitter or call 866-521-6968.