James McMahon Wins C Spire Ferriss Trophy
The Golden Eagle was also named to the C-USA All-Academic Team on Monday.
Hattiesburg, MS - Southern Miss senior right-handed pitcher James McMahon was named the 2015 recipient of the C Spire Ferriss Trophy, given to the top collegiate baseball player in the state of Mississippi in a luncheon presentation Monday at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame in Jackson.
Southern Miss senior right-handed pitcher James McMahon was named the 2015 recipient of the
C Spire Ferriss Trophy, given to the top collegiate baseball player in the state of Mississippi
in a luncheon presentation Monday at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame in Jackson.
McMahon is the second Southern Miss player to garner this award since its inception in 2004. Tyler Koelling (Luling, La.) collected the other honor for the Golden Eagles in 2011. The Hattiesburg, Miss., native beat out seniors Wes Rea (1B/DH) of Mississippi State, Melvin Rodriguez (INF) of Jackson State, Keith Shumaker (INF/RHP) of Millsaps and Scott Weathersby (RHP) of Ole Miss in the voting. Head coaches and scouts comprised 90 percent of the final vote, while a fan vote, conducted by C Spire, accounted for the other 10 percent. McMahon, who spent his first three seasons with the program as a reliever, converted to a starter this season and in 14 starts posted a 11-1 record with a 1.72 earned run average during the regular season. In 83 2/3 innings of work, he has allowed just 18 runs (16 earned) on 61 hits with 21 walks and 55 strikeouts. During the year, he had a pair of long scoreless-inning streaks that included one of 23 2/3 innings and another of 18 2/3 frames. McMahon was named Conference USA Pitcher of the Week twice and the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association National Pitcher of the Week after shutting out Mississippi State for 3 2/3 innings in limited pitch count, while also blanking nationally ranked Rice later during the weekend. In Conference USA play, McMahon finished 8-1 in nine and totaled nine quality starts his 14 games during the campaign. He fanned a career-best eight against both Nicholls State (2/21) and Troy (3/1) and posted two complete-game shutouts and three total complete games which both led the squad. The former pitcher and quarterback at Oak Grove High School is the son of Hal and Lisa McMahon. Also Monday, McMahon was one of 12 Conference USA players to make the league's All-Academic team. McMahon, who graduated in Construction Engineering Technology in December with a 3.50 grade point average, earned C-USA Academic Medal once, the Commissioner's Honor Roll five times, the President's List once, the Dean's List three times and the Athletic Director's Honor Roll four times during his time as an undergraduate. Here is the listing of the C-USA All-Academic team: Brett Lashley, Florida Atlantic John Sebelle, Florida Atlantic Julius Gaines, FIU Chase Boster, Marshall Ronnie Jebavy, Middle Tennessee John Clay Reeves, Rice Kirby Taylor, Rice James McMahon, Southern Miss Tyler Mims, UAB John Bormann, UTSA Ryan Messex, WKU Ben Morrison, WKU