Three LPD officers assaulted within 24-hour period, police on high-alert

LAUREL, Miss. - Three Laurel Police officers were assaulted within a 24-hour period during two different incidences.

Sergeant Michael Reaves with the Laurel Police department said they are on high-alert and are happy that no one was severely injured.

"We are happy that we walked away with just minor injuries to the officers, and to the suspects as well" said Sgt. Reaves.

The department said they are happy that the officers referred back to their training. "I think that is the reason why no one got shot or killed or injured more severely than we had" added Sgt. Reaves.

"We make sure that they back each other up, they already do that" said Sgt. Reaves. He added, "But we really try to make sure that there is multiple officers on serious calls."


Sgt. Michael Reaves said the first incident occurred at Alliance Gas Station on 16th Avenue and Jefferson street early Sunday morning. Officers initially responded to a shoplifting call.

Authorities said the clerk called 9-1-1 after she observed Decory Parnell, 24, armed with a handgun.

Reaves said, "One of our officers encountered the subject, he began to pat the subject down, for our officers' safety, then the handgun fell to the ground."

Parnell attempted to reach for the handgun after it fell. Another officer assisted the situation.

According to Reaves, Parnell attempted to disarm the two officers and a scuffle started. "They were able to subdue the individual with the use of the taser."

It took three officers to subdue Parnell. Two officers suffered minor injuries, Parnell suffered moderate injuries.

Parnell is facing aggravated assault charges and felony possession of a weapon.

His bond was set at $110,000.


The second incident occurred on Central Avenue Monday morning when Officer Wade Robertson attempted to stop Michael Barber, 42, for having an open container.

Sgt. Reaves said Barber fled on foot to Ash Street where he threw Officer Robertson to the ground.

"The officer struck his head on cement blocks causing a large laceration at the back of his head" said Sgt. Reaves.

According to Sgt. Reaves, Officer Robertson was able to subdue Barber, while waiting for back-up.

"He was able to maintain contact with the individual" said Sgt. Reaves. "When the other officers arrived he was drifting in and out of consciousness."

Barber was charged with public drunkenness, aggravated assault on police officer, resisting arrest, and open container.

Officer Robertson is in stable condition and was released from South Central Regional Medical Center. "He will return to work later this week" added Sgt. Reaves.

Barber is waiting for his initial appearance.

Reaves continued, "In law enforcement, you never know what you are responding to, we get calls all the time, they may seem minor, but things have a way of escalating rapidly.

Toggle Closed Captions on/off through the YouTube video player settings


GMH and FOX23.png

Subscribe for Updates

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
RSS Feed

WHPM/FOX23 is a proud member of the ADP

120 North 40th Avenue

Hattiesburg, MS 39401


Waypoint Media

© 2021 WHPM-TV