Close call brush fire in Jones Co., burn ban still in effect

JONES COUNTY, Miss. - This is a press release from the Jones County Volunteer Fire Department.

Volunteer firefighters' quick response prevented a potential disaster on Monday. Glade and Ovett Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the scene of an out-of-control brush fire at 25 Nichols Road in the Landrum Community. Upon arrival, firefighters found an extensive brush fire consuming a camper trailer, a 4-wheeler and a large stack of lumber.

The fire edged within inches of a large work shop before firefighters acted quickly to extinguish the fire. Had firefighters arrived a few minutes later, the shop would have been fully involved by fire as well. The owner of the property stated that he believed the fire started due to a cigarette that he flicked into the brush.

He said that he turned around and everything was on fire. Although the elderly gentleman tried to extinguish the fire himself, the blaze had spread so quickly that his actions were to no avail. Unfortunately, by the time firefighters arrived on scene, the camper trailer was already fully involved and along with the 4-wheeler, a riding lawn mower was also damaged.

According to Jones County Fire Coordinator Dan McKenna, "The burn ban is still in place and the rain that was received last week has done nothing to alleviate the dangerous conditions that exist in the county. Some rain is expected this week but will not impact the existing conditions."

Rescue personnel on scene included Glade and Ovett Volunteer Fire Departments and Jones County Fire Coordinator Dan McKenna.

Fire apparatus included Glade Brush and Tanker, and two Ovett Brush Engines.

Toggle Closed Captions on/off through the YouTube video player settings


GMH and FOX23.png

Subscribe for Updates

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
RSS Feed

WHPM/FOX23 is a proud member of the ADP

120 North 40th Avenue

Hattiesburg, MS 39401


Waypoint Media

© 2021 WHPM-TV