HATTIESBURG, Miss. - The Hattiesburg Fire Department responded to a fire late Tuesday morning at USM’s Theatre and Dance Building.
When firefighters arrived, they noticed smoke pouring out of the basement.
Fire Marshal, Stephen Mooney said, "Once they made it from the B side of the building, which you'll see where they entered here, to the D side, which is the opposite side of the building, that's where they encountered the drain system for the surface water off of the payment and the concrete walkway, where leafs had gathered in approximately 28-30-inch drain. And there was a cigarette butt that was found in there. At that point, that's what the initial factor was."
Mooney said the fire was contained.
There were no injuries and there was no damage to the building.
Mooney also said people should be very cautious this time of the year and to respect the burn ban.