top of page

Disaster Avoided in Father's Day Church Fire

JONES COUNTY, Miss. - This is a press release from the Jones County Fire Department.

A potential disaster was avoided Sunday morning when a church caught fire. Units from Powers and Sandersville Volunteer Fire Departments were dispatched to Community Church of Christ Apostolic on Milsap Jones Road for reports of the building on fire.

All members of the church were safely evacuated from the building before units arrived on scene. When firefighters arrived, they found light smoke coming from inside the building. According to reports, the church's roof was damaged during Friday's storms, and as a result on Sunday, a piece of metal roofing flew off and contacted a live power line, which caused the church's attic to catch fire.

Thankfully, a neighbor was nearby and was able to put out the fire with a water hose, avoiding a major disaster with potential injuries.

Firefighters still took the time to inspect the building to insure all hot spots were extinguished properly. The attic sustained moderate fire damage and the sanctuary sustained smoke and water damage. No injuries were reported. Firefighters also took time after the scene was cleared to allow kids from the church to tour Powers Engine 1.

Rescue personnel on scene included Powers and Sandersville Volunteer Fire Departments, EMServ Ambulance Service and Jones County Sheriff's Department. Dixie Electric was also on scene and Glade Volunteer Fire Department was on standby.

Fire apparatus on scene included Powers Engine 1, Tanker 1 and Sandersville Engine 1. Several firefighters also arrived in their personal vehicles.



Toggle Closed Captions on/off through the YouTube video player settings

bottom of page